I want everyone to say hello to chef Manabu Horiuchi, the executive chef over at Kata Robata. He's a great person, an amazing sushi chef, and a great mentor to a few of the chefs featured here on the blog in past. For our shoot Hori prepared a few traditional Japanese dishes for family and friends. To ensure I got everything right I asked Hori to give me the name of each dish with what went in them. Here's what he prepared:
- Daikon Inakani - braised radish and bacon dashi, with ginger, and mitsuba.
- Saba Nitsuke - braised mackerel, with Tokyo green onion, sake, and ginger.
- Asari Osumashi - Manila clam soupchive, lemon, dashi, and sake.
- Bara Chirashi - Family style sushi tuna, hamachi, snapper, grilled eel, egg, kanpyo, seaweed, shrimp, and salmon roe.
- Oshinko - Japanese cucumber, organic carrot, and turnip
- Chinese cabbage and daikon radish salad with lemon garlic soy dressing.
- For desert, Green tea ice cream with mochi, sweet red beans, soy powder, and blown sugar syrup.
I was also introduced to a couple of Japanese specific drinks. Hibiki, Japanese whiskey, and Iichiko, Japanese vodka. Both pretty amazing in their own right!